Think Solvenia... Think University Admissions!



In order to live and work there, expats must obtain a residence and work permit for Spain – notoriously elusive paperwork that requires any number of documents, depending on an individual's purpose in the country. work and residence are linked in the Spanish permit system.

For EU National
Nationals of all EU and EEA (European Economic Area) Member States have free access to the labour market in Slovenia. If you are a citizen of EU or EEA member states, work permit to enter the Slovenian labour market is not required, and you can apply for job vacancies under equal conditions. The employer is obligated to register you into the obligatory pension, invalidity, health and unemployment insurance within 8 days of the date of signing the employment contract. If you are posted to work in Slovenia by a "foreign" employer, the later is obligated (based on working contract concluded in your country) to ensure you minimal working and employment conditions compatible with Slovenian regulations. If you are a non EU citizen, you may gain employment in Slovenia only on the basis of a work permit, which is issued in accordance with Slovenian national legislation.

Work permit
EU citizens are under European law equal to domestic workers or jobseekers in respect of employment and job search. Citizens of EU member states (old and new) and EEA (Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland) do NOT need a work permit for employment and work in Slovenia. Workers outside of the EU are employed in accordance with the Employment and Work of Aliens Act and ensuing regulations. A work permit is, as a rule, issued on employers` request, so you need to find the employer who is willing to employ you first. An employer will obtain the work permit only under certain conditions. The most important condition is that there are no suitable candidates registered at the Employment Service of Slovenia and that the employment is not causing any disturbances in the Slovenian labour market. Further information about the types of work permits can be found on the Employment Service of Slovenia website where all forms or applications for particular types of work permits are accessible; the website also lists all supporting documents to accompany the application. But, unfortunately, all the relevant information is in Slovene only.

Residence permit
If you intend to stay in Slovenia for a period of more than three months, a residence permit is needed. An application for a residence permit can be made at the local Administrative unit with valid passport, or identity card. In the case of planned employment, you must submit confirmation from your employer that he will employ you or proof of employment (an employment contract) and, in the case of study, self-employment or retirement, evidence thereof. You must also provide proof that you have a secure means of subsistence and compulsory health insurance.